As many of you know, I recently had hip surgery. It’s been a painful process since I got hurt in March, but I am feeling optimistic that the operation I had on Thursday, June 15th will make all the difference. I’m currently on the road to recovery!
In the operation, I had some impingement corrected, as well as got a torn area of cartilage partially shaved down. While the recovery is difficult and often overwhelming, I’ve decided instead to make a list of positives that have come from surgery. Each day, I’ll add to this list in order to retain perspective. Hopefully, this will help to keep the negative thoughts at bay. Here are today’s positives:
- Quality time with loved ones: Since I got hurt, I have had the wonderful chance to spend more time with family. My mom and I have had some wonderful bonding time in which we can have important discussions, and I feel close and loved. My dad and sister have also been incredibly helpful and supportive, whether that means helping me get breakfast in the morning or making sure I have enough books to read to keep me distracted from pain.
- Friends have shown their true colors: Brief messages and phone calls asking me how I’m feeling have gone a long way. Friends have been checking on me every day and offering kind words of support. I feel supported and cared for.
- Feeling loved and loving in return: My boyfriend, Michael, has been offering a metaphorical shoulder to lean on from day one. I know I can rely on him during this tough time for a few uplifting words, some gentle condolences, and I am secure in the knowledge that I can love and be loved in return. I am confident that I would do the same for him, if he were in this situation.
- A strong medical team: I am thankful for a medical team that I can trust to take care of me in an operation. I am grateful to have had treatment at a good hospital with an excellent doctor.
- Little wins everyday: “While every day might not be good, there is something good in every day.” Since the surgery, each day has brought little successes. The other night, I slept through the night without waking up and needing more medication. This morning I am feeling well enough to sit up and write.
- A little daily dose of optimism: Even though it is painful, and I need help with small things, I am thankful that each day brings me closer to a full recovery. That soon I’ll be entering physical therapy, and then running marathons in no time! (Just kidding!)